Hosted by Economic Development for Central Oregon each October, Industry Month is a series of events throughout the region for the business community. The forum provides invaluable resources for the growth and improvement of Central Oregon's traded-sector employers as well as inspiration for regional entrepreneurs and business leaders.
Entering its sixth year in 2009, the Bend Venture Conference (BVC) is certainly a highlight of Industry Month. The event, which connects entrepreneurs with angel investors and venture capitalists, attracts a significant audience from around the Pacific Northwest. Community leaders and the business community look forward to the culmina-tion of Industry Month, EDCO's Annual Awards, a serious-but-light-hearted night that combines industry recognition of excellence with a fun roast of local activities.
EDCO publishes the Industry Month Guide to communicate October's schedule of events for the public. The publication also includes editorial articles of broad interest on entrepreneurship and business leadership develop-ment, plus "how to" courses of interest to the business community. Produced in collaboration with Cascade Business News, some of the highlights from the 2008 Guide include:
- "Bend - One of America's Telecommuting Heavens" by Rich Karlgaard, publisher of Forbes Magazine, columnist for the regular "Digital Rules" column, and author of The Wall Street Journal best seller Life 2.0
- "A Culture of Self-Invention" from J. Walker-Smith, President of Yankelovich, Inc., the nationally acclaimed social trend and market research organization
- "Human Resource Development in the Toyota Culture" (Lean Manufacturing) by Michael Hoseus, Center for Quality People and Organization, and Jeffer K. Liker, University of Michigan
- Interviews with six up and coming high tech companies in Central Oregon
- Summary of relocating and expanding companies in the region, and
- Resource directory of local and state incentives for business
For more information about 2009 Industry Month events, check back to our Events section in late summer.